Welcome to The Schoolhouse
Dining, Handmade Cheese & Tea in Gerringong
This is no ordinary building. Built by Alexander Berry in 1862, it opened in 1870 as the schoolhouse at Toolijooa, near the Gerringong township. The building was moved to Gerringong town in 1953 (how did they do it?!) where it became part of the Gerringong primary school, remaining as such until 1994. It was decommissioned as a school building in 1995 and moved, again, to its present site.
Nowadays, the classroom houses a restaurant, cheesemaking and tasting room for our cheeses and teas and is purpose designed and built. A blackboard and a wall clock are still there, the timber flooring remains, the verandah still has the hooks for the school bags, tables pass for desks, but we do the homework. We hope the lessons are enjoyable for our guests – click here to view the photo gallery